- Shepherd’s hut for 4 from £75 per night
- 1 double & 2 bunks.
The Blencathra camp at Scales Plantation is made up of a beautiful handcrafted Shepherd’s hut, a wooden kitchen and bathroom shelter and a compost loo, all in a clearing on the edge of the woods with views over the North Lake fells. Simple wooden furniture gives the hut a traditional rustic feel, yet it’s extremely comfortable. The full size double bed and bunks have feather down duvets and blankets to sink into and sheepskin rugs line the floor. There is a wood-burner for heating, but the interior of the hut is kept uncluttered thanks to the kitchen and bathroom just outside. This well designed shelter can be opened up to give the chef or bather a unique feeling of being in the woods, or tightly closed if the weather turns. There are hobs, a fridge and a bath with a shower attached, all gas powered, plus a fire pit for more traditional campfire cookery. Groceries can be supplied by your hosts.
The important stuff
- Check in time is 4pm
- Check out time is 10:30am
- Each hut has a full size 4’6″ x 6’2″ double bed at one end and 2 single bunks at the other that can be adapted into a sofa
- The hut is powered by solar power or a 12 volt battery which can be used to charge phones and so on
- There are charging points in each camp for phones or cameras but no plug sockets
- Not suitable for electro sensitive individuals as solar panels are close to each camp
- Sleeping arrangements
- 1 double & 2 bunks.
Extra space available
Space for 2 pets no charge.
Kids & Pets
Children and pets both welcome, but please be careful of the resident sheep. Be aware there is only room for either 2 children OR just 1 baby. There’s no room for a travel cot but a bed guard can be provided for the bottom bunk if the top bunk isn’t in use.
- Gas hobs
- Wood-burning range oven
- Fire pit & BBQ
- Dining area
- Utensils all provided
- Gas-powered fridge
- Bath with shower attachment is next to the hut in a private, enclosed unit
- Compost loo
- The bathroom also has a little wood-burning stove
- Hairdryers cannot be used in any of the camps
Heating, lighting & bedding
- Bed linen and towels provided
- Lighting is provided either by solar power or a 12 volt battery